Wednesday, February 20, 2008

American Pride

“For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

These words of Michelle Obama have received a lot of attention in the media. It is significant that most of the flap over her words has come not from Obama's immediate rival, Hillary Clinton, but from Cindy McCain and other conservatives. This small point highlights a big problem in politics. Pride has become synonymous with patriotism. Patriotism is a word that implies action. Someone who is patriotic not only loves her country but is willing to serve it and fight for it. Pride is a feeling, often a dangerous one. I have heard so many responses to Mrs. Obama's comment along the lines of "I'm ALWAYS proud of my country, no matter what." And therein lies the problem. If you love your country, then you want to see it become the best it can possibly be. That can't happen if pride gets in the way of pointing out the problems we have, the mistakes we have made. Rhetoric and lapel pins apparently have become more important than action.

I read this comment on a post on Mark Elrod's blog:
"Call me crazy, but perhaps Mrs. Obama was speaking as a Black woman for whom very much of this national-cultural experience has in fact been shameful, and perhaps she’s experiencing pride as a page of history turns with resolve. Of course, I don’t know her, but I can imagine some macro-relief and joy in this awfully significant moment in history when a Black man and a Woman duke it out in hard scrabble politics for a legitimate, mandated prize. It’s new, and perhaps her pride is too." - JRB

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My hope is that we Americans will love our country enough to want to make it the best it can be, work doggedly to bring about the changes that need to be made, and, like Michelle Obama, reserve our pride for those moments in our nation's history that merit pride.

4 comments:

heidi r weimer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heidi r weimer said...

Right on! I'm so sick of people who are fighting for change being labeled as unpatriotic. Ridiculous.

And, guess what? In the end, my allegiance is ultimately NOT to any country, but to Christ and to the pursuit of justice, so those who get in a tizzy about someone supposedly not pledging allegiance to a flag? Whatever...It's a flag. It's not like Jesus has His face embroidered on it. (Some on the Right might see otherwise!)

Emily Webb said...

I'm so curious about that deleted comment ;)

Yes, Heidi, I agree with you completely. Incidentally, Barack Obama does say the pledge, but personally, as a Christian, I have a problem with saying it.

There is a fine line between patriotism and idolatry.

Kristen Howerton said...

Emaline, I don't know you, but you are my people.

I also have issue with the pledge. Why would I pledge my allegiance to any human entity? I love my country, but the whole pledge thing is not for me.