Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I've added a few elements to my blog: The Cost of War counter, favorite books, websites, and blogs. I will try to update these periodically. First I'll give a few very brief reviews of some of the books I recommend.

Mountains Beyond Mountains
I can't say enough good things about this book, or about Dr. Paul Farmer. What sets him apart from most medical "missionaries" is his incredible compassion for his patients. He is funny, profane, brilliant, and driven. The book primarily involves his work in Haiti, but you can learn more about his organization, Partners in Health at www.pih.org.


Surprised by Joy
I've read every book C.S. Lewis has written, and this one is my favorite. It tells the story of his early life, and his journey from childish belief to atheism to genuine faith. This is the book that made me fall in love with C.S. Lewis.

The Case for Christianity
The Lewis book I recommend most frequently. It was also published under the title Broadcast Talks. This tiny volume can be read in a sitting, and presents an intelligent, logical case for belief in Jesus.

If God is Love
A radical book about universal salvation. You may not agree with the authors, but it will challenge you to think and to live more compassionately. I'm a big fan of Philip Gulley.

The Irresistible Revolution
One of the most challenging books I have read in a long time. Challenging because I cannot disagree with his philosophy, but I am not ready to put it into practice.

The Language of God
Francis Collins led the Human Genome Project. In this book he makes a compelling case for both Darwinian Evolution, and faith in Jesus Christ. DNA is the Language of God. A beautiful case for the coexistence of faith and reason.

No comments: